[dba-Tech] Amazon cloud backup (was: An OSS database for Dropbox)

Gustav Brock Gustav at cactus.dk
Thu Nov 8 02:17:18 CST 2012

Hi Jim

I just checked our costs for storing about 70 GB with about 15 GB datatransfer each month.
That is about USD 12 to Amazon (variable) and USD 2 to Jungle Disk (fixed). In total, less than USD 15 each month.

We've never used as it is our third-level "should-anything-else-fail backup" or "data insurance", I just perform a sample check from time to time that data exists.

/gustav

>>> Gustav at cactus.dk 05-11-12 19:38 >>>
Hi Jim

We use the white label of Jungle Disk:

https://www.jungledisk.com/reseller_program/overview/Default.aspx

Very simple, very reliable, and very cheap.

/gustav

>>> accessd at shaw.ca 05-11-12 18:22 >>>
That sounds very interesting.

I would be interested in hearing how you managed the process, at least in
some broad stroke.

I have not, yet, permanently, moved any clients but am thinking of trying a
small couple of month test, like a backup or setting and data for a remote
client...like the contents under their user account.

The security concerns me and I have been looking at routers and switches
with encryption/de-encryption firmware. Software tend to be too slow and as
of yet hardware too expensive; for just a test. Have tried a small database
but the results were inconclusive and the project has languished as real
work takes precedence.