[dba-Tech] Any of you work with XML docs in Word?

Salakhetdinov Shamil mcp2004 at mail.ru
Sun Nov 25 01:53:49 CST 2012

Hi Susan --

It's unclear what version of MS Word your reader uses.
MS Word 2003 introduced so called  WordProcessingML (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WordProcessingML) and MS Word 2007 - Open Office XML (OOXML - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_Office_XML_formats) - http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa338205.aspx.

WordProcessingML seems to be depreciated now. When you're trying to save a doc with WordProcessingML elements  (in MS Word 2010) you're getting a message: "The file contains custom XML elements which are no longer supported by Word. If you save this file, these custom XML elements will be removed permanently."

I worked with OOXML MS Word and MS Excel docs - Custom XML Parts etc. (http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb398244.aspx). last autumn using them in a C# project via Open XML SDK 2.0 (http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=5124).
I must note that was a "hardcore stuff" for beginners (as I was that time).
Open XML SDK allows to almost completely avoid MS Word (and MS Excel) Automation/Mail Merge when generating MS Word/MS Excel/MS PowerPont/... documents from scratch or using templates...

Try to get cleared what MS Word version and what XML implementation applied to MS Word docs your reader uses.

Here is a link on http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb386290.aspx (Walkthrough: Creating a Template By Using Content Controls). It uses C# and VB.NET but it's possible to use MS Word VBA (IDE) to repeat the steps from that walkthrough)...

I do not know how to create MS Word documents templates using custom XML parts *without using code*. If you'll find a way how to do that please post the links/walk-through here..

I must also note that I'm not working with MS Word XML (WordProcessingML and/or Custom XML Parts  and/or .... ?) on regular basis so I could be missing some other options...

Thank you.

-- Shamil

Sat 24 Nov 2012 10:28:46 от "Susan Harkins" <ssharkins at gmail.com>:

>From a reader -- truly have no clue what he's talking about. Anyone got any advice?

Susan H.

hi there jody,

at some point i was able to see a list of fields available in the XML document being used to create this word document. i dont seem to be able to do that anymore. i hope you understand what i mean. i have a table that has the wrong data in one of the places. i want to be able to choose a different field from the xml schema but i cant remember/figure out how i did it before. i have the developer tab enabled but i just cant find this list of tables/fields i used to be able to use.  please advise =)

-jon