[dba-Tech] Why is there so many OSS projects?

Jim Lawrence accessd at shaw.ca
Thu Aug 22 18:15:23 CDT 2013

Hi Arthur:

That seems about enough for now. My projects right now seem to be related to internal maintenance issues and managing legacy software for clients but this winter all my servers should be run correctly.

To that end there are so many web frameworks that warrant further investigation and as for the BEs I need IIS, Apache, Node and Nginx. Then there is Zimba (mail server) and Mumble (VoIP) server. Right now I am assembling a couple of fully loaded Ubuntu 13.04 boxes for clients. Proof of concept.

It will have DosBox for all the real old classic games, Wine for any Windows, Adobe application and games you can not normally get on Linx that you just have to have, Arronax for building desktop icons for batch files or any application, Haguichi (It uses LogMeIn's Hamachi OSS), Remmina for all network any OS RDP, SplashTop (the fastest remote desktop program built), Banshee (a very good iTunes replacement, podcasts, videos, radio, movies, books etc.), VLC media player (the best), Gimp, (an Photoshop replacement), OpenShot Video editor (a nearly full professional movie editor), HandBrake (a video converter), Skype and many other enhancements. Ubuntu also, comes right out of the box with a huge number of features (LibraOffice, Thunderbird (mail client), Firefox, backup, UbuntuOne (cloud storage) and so on). I have been trying to think of any features that a user may want...it is only limited by your imagination.