[dba-Tech] What I hate about Linux

Arthur Fuller fuller.artful at gmail.com
Tue Dec 10 18:14:53 CST 2013

I agree. A few months back I scored a serious laptop for, by CDN standards,
peanuts (i5 chip, 8GB RAM, 1TB hard disk, USB 3.0, and a gorgeous monitor.
I was tempted to set it up as dual-boot but chickened out and instead it
runs Ubuntu and Mint and whatever in VirtualBox VMs, but with 8GB of RAM,
the VMs run quicker than my ancient 4GB dual-boot. And I'm almost always
running the fancy laptop in that configuration, and I love it.

My only point is that you and I know what we're doing, and my mom and your
neighbour haven't a clue. To phrase it another way, this explains the
triumph of the tablet and smart phone over the traditional PC. You and I
can agree that it is far better to develop an Android app on a PC and then
deploy it, but by then their eyes are glazed and they're reaching for the
TV remote or the Bailey's bottle and are content to fall gently asleep.
Smart phones and tablets are leading the charge, in dollars and consumption
and user-demands. Yes, yes, yes, Android is built on Linux and blablabla,
let's leave the techies to discuss, I just want The Simpsons on my phone.
Etc.

Speaking of The Simpsons, I recently saw a couple of new episodes that
almost made me fall out of my chair laughing. Those people defy the law of
TV gravity. How old is that series? 20+ years at a casual guess. And it
just doesn't grow stale! How do they do it? It's a mystery. But they do it.
It stays hilarious and pointed and the graphics just get better and better.
I'm in awe of what they do. They're better than Steve Jobs. And speaking of
whom, I've grown a whole new respect for Ashton Kucher. I thought he was
splendid as Jobs.

This has veered into OT territory, I fear. So I'll come up with a question
to bring it back into this realm: I've been having a few problems with
implementing advanced ribbons in Access 2007+. Anyone on this list an
expert on this? Specifically, I want to validate/invalidate all the
controls on a given ribbon, depending on a condition. I.e. If Condition is
True, validate this, that and the other control's condition False. Etc. I'm
guessing that the ribbon controls and in fact the collection of ribbons are
Collections, and I could walk them with a For Each construct, but I'm a tad
out of my depth here. Working on it with test-code, but unsure of every
move I make.

Whew. We're back on topic.

Arthur