[dba-Tech] What I hate about Linux

Hans-Christian Andersen hans.andersen at phulse.com
Tue Dec 10 17:47:27 CST 2013

Hm, granted, I do not run Linux as a desktop on a daily basis, but I’m pretty sure that on Ubuntu and OpenSuse (and others) usually the newly installed software goes into the application menu. I guess, if the package maintainer is careless, that may not happen. That’s a quality assurance issue, for sure.

- Hans

On Dec 10, 2013, at 3:44 PM, Arthur Fuller <fuller.artful at gmail.com> wrote:

> Don't get me wrong, Hans. I can deal with the various distros and have the
> scars to prove it. I meant my mother and your grandfather and their ilk. It
> just pisses me off that following an installation of just about anything on
> just about any Linux, none if any automatically create a symlink or
> shortcut etc. on their menu systems or start-bar, leaving the average user
> with the mystified question, "Ok, but where is it?"
>
> You and I and many people on this list know how to handle this, but unless
> my mom and your grandfather also know, my point stands, IMO.
>
> A.
>

> On Tue, Dec 10, 2013 at 6:21 PM, Hans-Christian Andersen <
> hans.andersen at phulse.com> wrote:
>

>> I wouldn’t classify that as an issue with Linux, but with MySQL (or
>> whatever software it is you have frustrations with). You wouldn’t blame the
>> OS for the software that was designed not to be user-friendly, right?
>>
>> The same can be true for Windows as well. The 3 step process (backup,
>> uninstall, reinstall) for Windows works in same cases, but, in my
>> experience, it often doesn’t because you have additional layers of
>> complexity under the hood (ie. the registry, dll’s, local settings, etc).
>> Poorly designed Windows software can end up (and often do) requiring a
>> longer process to fix the software.
>>
>> Saying that, most Linux distros were not designed for IT people of the
>> Windows flavour, who prefer a GUI over the command line. Some of them are
>> though. You might want to take a look at OpenSuse, for instance. It is more
>> user-friendly with lots of GUI tools to help you administer your server and
>> software.
>>
>> Personally, I don’t like that. In my opinion, the command line (bash, zsh,
>> etc) trumps a GUI any day (which, I’m guessing, is why Microsoft introduced
>> Powershell, because they saw that need).
>>
>> - Hans
>>

>> On Dec 10, 2013, at 2:22 PM, Arthur Fuller <fuller.artful at gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> The following link describes how to uninstall and then re-install a
>>> corrupted version of MySQL 5.x on Linux.
>>>
>>> http://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/linux-completely-reinstall-mysql-server/
>>>
>>> Compare that to the Windows 3-step:
>>> 1. Back up the data directory.
>>> 2. Un-install the program.