[dba-Tech] "Depend on me, and I'll set you free!"

Jim Lawrence accessd at shaw.ca
Tue Feb 5 12:01:03 CST 2013

Hi All:

I worked on a huge database that held all the government's and in
particularly the Attorney Generals Ministry financial records. The one giant
data storage held all the account receivable, purchase orders, client
ledgers, accounts payable, general ledgers and so on.

It was all in one giant distributive data storage system and it ran on
B-tree structure of keys and indexes. The system was running on equipment
that we would think primitive by today's standards but from any terminal, in
the province, a clerk, depending on clearance rights, could access any
records or grouping in seconds.

The most active users were connected through coax cables; bundles and
bundles of them. (actually did some of the wiring...definitely not a
pleasant task) Most of the remote terminal connections were connected via a
300 baud modems, the data source was in one room with six UNIX servers
(eventually Linux boxes).

This whole system was not relational as we would know it but it did the job
very effectively.

The old database has been moved to an Oracle database system and the costs
were about 100 millions dollars to do it. The new system requires over a
thousand servers. It now even requires overnight batches to retrieve a
special reports and according to the users the whole system run
significantly slower.

This is one clear example where relational databases just do not cut it. I
am sure there are many examples where traditional databases just don't work.
Much of the internet runs on non-relational databases.

With most of our clients, they just don't have enough data to worry about
and we could get away with series of cascading hierarchical spreadsheets
that could furfill all their needs. Relational databases with a SQL FE are
just the standards we use to but are hardly the only solutions.