[dba-Tech] Relational v NoSQL

Jim Lawrence accessd at shaw.ca
Fri Feb 8 13:00:26 CST 2013

Hi Peter:

I predict will be a long while before MySQL disappears from the landscape as
MySQL has such an advantage being a very well known and established product.

OTOH, MySQL's adoption, for the last few months has been completely flat.
Providers of the database have used MySQL as a stable and inexpensive
alternative to more pricey options. This is no longer the case.

As soon as the forks of MySQL like MariaDB start releasing sets of modern
and competing features and MySQL is offering the same but only at a
substantual price, the change will happen rapidly. Right now there is no
advantage for migrating to another MySQL fork other than to avoid potential,
Oracle based patent infingements.