[dba-Tech] FYI: Moving to "nirvana": if Microsoft were to shift to WebKit, you can thank Opera.

Salakhetdinov Shamil mcp2004 at mail.ru
Thu Feb 14 14:09:03 CST 2013

 Hi Jim --

No, I meant Web Browser Control Automation -  http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa752040(v=vs.85 ).aspx

<<<
does not this coding method defeats the whole
concept of "write once, play everywhere"?

Yes, it does. But there are quite some customers who do not care about "write once, play everywhere" concept, e.g. the ones who use iPhone/iPad or Android native applications. Of course the latter apps do not have any (direct) links to MS Web Browser Control Automation - I just noted them to underline that "write once, play everywhere concept" (originated by Java or even before) isn't universally requested by all the customers...

-- Shamil

Четверг, 14 февраля 2013, 10:24 -08:00 от "Jim Lawrence" <accessd at shaw.ca>:
>Hi Shamil:
>
>Just a question and a comment on this "browser automation".
>
>Isn't this built around the concept of adding Plugins into you browser so
>features can be extended to the desktop? Is this not very proprietary code
>and not extendable to any other browser...in other words a developer would
>have to make a plugin for every browser and desktop OS supported?
>
>My personal belief is that plugins should be avoided where at all possible.
>Plugins have been used by so many malware products so I tend to be very
>untrusting of that whole concept of that type of development. Plugins can
>even be used to bridge between the browser's protected sandbox concept and
>the desktop...very dangerous.
>
>A couple of years ago a company automated the concept of attaching their
>plugin to any browser that viewed their web site. It resulted in your
>desktop being replaced and then it would prompt you to contact their site
>for a solution to remove the malware at the price of $29. Browser security
>has since been improved.
>
>IMHO, if particular functionality is required it should either be coded
>directly into the FE or BE of your web page, where at all possible or no
>plugin should be allowed unless they have been vetted through one of the
>many app stores. In addition, does not this coding method defeats the whole
>concept of "write once, play everywhere"?
>
>Jim
<<< skipped >>>