[dba-Tech] FYI: Moving to "nirvana": if Microsoft were to shift to WebKit, you can thank Opera.

Jim Lawrence accessd at shaw.ca
Sat Feb 16 14:19:04 CST 2013

Hi Shamil:

Well, I will explain my observations and why I have come to those
conclusions.

When still working in the business, most of my clients were franchise type
businesses and of course banks. Even though all the store and bank clerks
had desktops, their working apps were slowly (quickly) being moved into
browser based desktops. The station was still required but the main
application were run on a browser.

This trend was done for a number of reasons; hardware and OS was no longer a
major consideration, site issues are less relevant, no need for station
version control, central data management and application development,
pricing and option changes availability in real time, no station or server
licensing and that is just a few of the reasons.

Just like a desktop-installed and run application, a browser based
application can virtually look and run anything you can imagine. Far from
Unisex, it is the new artist palette of the present and future. To that end,
all the new jobs require modern tech-developers to be very knowledgeable in
front end development, HTML, JavaScript and CSS, competent a number web
languages, from ASP.Net to Ruby, website design (maybe a bit of graphic
design), web server and database structure and finally the ability to learn
fast.

Today, programmers in the web development field are part of one of the
fastest growing industry in the world. Over fifty percent of developers
develop for the internet/browsers and that number is growing ever year.
There is still a need for developers to support legacy applications but that
is hardly a growth market and even many of the older applications being
supported will be migrating to the browser, in the near future.

Below is a link to an article discussing the modern developer and the
associated incentives.

http://money.usnews.com/careers/best-jobs/web-developer

OTOH, legacy applications will still be around for a while and we will still
be needed to support them but our daughters, sons and other younger family
members, if they go into the business, will not be working on many if any
desktop applications. Times are changing.