[dba-Tech] FYI: Moving to "nirvana": if Microsoft were to shift to WebKit, you can thank Opera.

Salakhetdinov Shamil mcp2004 at mail.ru
Sat Feb 16 15:56:57 CST 2013

 Hi Jim --

I'd quote first:

"We grow through our ability to tolerate ambiguity, to hold opposites without succumbing to the tension of reducing one side to the other, and to understand ambivalence."

- from the article ( http://www.goertzel.org/dynapsyc/2002/FractalPsyche.htm ) I have recently referenced while commenting on another thread here.

I mean, for me web-, desktop- and native/mobile- applications are not orthogonal, mutually exclusive, or one app type being somehow superior to another to finally suppress/reduce/minimize the other type of applications population/popularity - let's say 80-90% of that  (web-, desktop- and native/mobile-) apps functionality could be executing IMO (and not only IMO) not in FE devices' memory but anywhere else- and that "anywhere else" could be remote servers' utilities/services, "clouds" tasks/jobs/services/distributed workflows, "ordinary" web servers and/or web services, even shared customers front-end devices...

Main subject application types differentiated by their front-end - UI part:

- web-app - UI in browser running on desktop or mobile OSes or on OS-browsers as Google Chromium, Fox OS, ...;
- desktop-app - UI within desktop application/executable, implemented using desktop's OS native UI tools/controls, e.g. for MS Windows/.NET that could be MFC, WinForms, WPF, Silverlight, WinRT (Metro)...;
- mobile-app - UI within mobile application/executable, implemented using mobile OS native UI tools/controls.

Notes:

(a) desktop- and mobile- apps might have browser control as part of their UI but that browser control is usually used for secondary functionality;
(b) UI used in broad sense here - as UX -  http://uxdesign.com/ux-defined

I'd expect we can get into agreement on the above quote, statements and definitions with only one exception:

- AFAIU (please correct me if I'm wrong) - you expect that "browser will be the host of the UI(UX) of 99% of the future business applications";
- I argue that "browser as UI(UX) host" will not dominate in the future - mobile native apps could dominate or share the business application market with "browser as UX host", mobile and desktop apps.

I can live peacefully with that "exception/disagreement left unprocessed/unresolved" - the future will judge.

Thank you.

-- Shamil

Суббота, 16 февраля 2013, 12:19 -08:00 от "Jim Lawrence" <accessd at shaw.ca>:
>Hi Shamil:
>
>Well, I will explain my observations and why I have come to those
>conclusions.
>
>When still working in the business, most of my clients were franchise type
>businesses and of course banks. Even though all the store and bank clerks
>had desktops, their working apps were slowly (quickly) being moved into
>browser based desktops. The station was still required but the main
>application were run on a browser.
>
>This trend was done for a number of reasons; hardware and OS was no longer a
>major consideration, site issues are less relevant, no need for station
>version control, central data management and application development,
>pricing and option changes availability in real time, no station or server
>licensing and that is just a few of the reasons.
>
>Just like a desktop-installed and run application, a browser based
>application can virtually look and run anything you can imagine. Far from
>Unisex, it is the new artist palette of the present and future. To that end,
>all the new jobs require modern tech-developers to be very knowledgeable in
>front end development, HTML, JavaScript and CSS, competent a number web
>languages, from ASP.Net to Ruby, website design (maybe a bit of graphic
>design), web server and database structure and finally the ability to learn
>fast.
>
>Today, programmers in the web development field are part of one of the
>fastest growing industry in the world. Over fifty percent of developers
>develop for the internet/browsers and that number is growing ever year.
>There is still a need for developers to support legacy applications but that
>is hardly a growth market and even many of the older applications being
>supported will be migrating to the browser, in the near future.
>
>Below is a link to an article discussing the modern developer and the
>associated incentives.
>
>http://money.usnews.com/careers/best-jobs/web-developer
>
>OTOH, legacy applications will still be around for a while and we will still
>be needed to support them but our daughters, sons and other younger family
>members, if they go into the business, will not be working on many if any
>desktop applications. Times are changing.
>
>Jim
<<< skipped >>>