[dba-Tech] FYI: Moving to "nirvana": if Microsoft were to shift to WebKit, you can thank Opera.

Salakhetdinov Shamil mcp2004 at mail.ru
Mon Feb 18 15:37:59 CST 2013

 Hi Jim --

Yes, I know about special coding needed for IE6,7,8. But this is now history, isn't it?

And as I have just noted in another post - I haven't said a word "in defense" of Microsoft - why you can't stop mentioning them when the issue I'm raising is "WebKit monoculture" and the probable (IMO) dominance in the (near) future of mobile and hybrid applications over browser hosted applications, independent on technology they will be developed with?

I personally never liked MS DOS/Windows dominance but I worked with MS DOS/MS Windows because that were technologies used by my customers, who I worked for to make my family living. And now when MS Windows is getting so "fierce competition on all the fronts" - that's a good sign for me that this industry is getting healthier. And I see how Microsoft responds to that competition -  and I have now a choice to use MS development tools I'm so accustomed to to develop "pure HTML/CSS/Javascript" apps, or hybrid apps, or native WindowsRT/WinPhone apps using industry standard C/C++, or Android and iPhone/iPad apps (Monodroid/Monotouch - C#) , I can use different SQL Servers running under MS Windows, I can develop office document using standardized Open Office XML  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Office_Open_XML  supported not only by MS Office but also LibreOffice etc.

BTW, the OS I liked most of all for PCs was QNX - I have never worked with it but I was so impressed with its graphical interface and speed of execution: AFAIK QNX is now used in the recently released BlackBerry 10 ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/QNX )

Thank you.

-- Shamil

Понедельник, 18 февраля 2013, 11:14 -08:00 от "Jim Lawrence" <accessd at shaw.ca>:
>Hi Shamil:
>
>Thanks for the article.
>
>Whether there are too many applications out there...there always will be and
>that is a good thing...one company grows from the creativity and sometime
>the ashes of another.
>
>I wish to make a comment particularly on the software packages attached to
>the article. I just picked a number at random and checked into how they were
>supported and designed.
>
>Pandora, for example: a car support application. It is built on Linux and
>has a web interface...and I have no idea to the rest of the BE or Middleware
>but I would suspect other OSS products.
>
>I am sure that most of these applications are built on top of Linux servers
>and it is worthy to note that all these companies have extensive websites
>for selling and managing their products. Whether these companies disappear
>or thrive is always a question but the web designers will be a major part of
>their success or failure.
>
>Aside: One of the points that been brought up in the pass and contributes to
>the costs of building any website or web UI has been caused by the failing
>of Microsoft to keep to the standards...which is why enforced
>standardization packages like Webkit, in this business have been so
>important. You can look at the heading of every businesses websites (and
>every page) and similar coding is placed in the header:
>
><!--[if lt IE 7]><html lang="en-us" class="no-js lt-ie9 lt-ie8
>lt-ie7"><![endif]-->
><!--[if IE 7]><html lang="en-us" class="no-js lt-ie9 lt-ie8"><![endif]-->
><!--[if IE 8]><html lang="en-us" class="no-js lt-ie9"><![endif]-->
><!--[if gt IE 8]><!-->
>
>The above links and associated code has undoubtedly cost every company
>thousands of dollars to design and maintain and this is why there is such a
>demand for MS to get with program. Whether IE10 will be the solution is yet
>to be proven.
>
>As you are specifically (predominantly) a Windows programmer, having
>Microsoft standardize is more important to you than to those of us who are
>generalists in the business.
>
>Sorry for going off on a tangent but certain observations became apparent
>from studying your posted article.
>
>Jim
<<< skipped >>>