[dba-Tech] FYI: Moving to "nirvana": if Microsoft were to shift to WebKit, you can thank Opera.

Jim Lawrence accessd at shaw.ca
Mon Feb 18 17:42:42 CST 2013

Hi Shamil:

-----Original Message-----
From: dba-tech-bounces at databaseadvisors.com
[mailto:dba-tech-bounces at databaseadvisors.com] On Behalf Of Salakhetdinov
Shamil
Sent: Monday, February 18, 2013 1:38 PM
To: Discussion of Hardware and Software issues
Subject: Re: [dba-Tech] FYI: Moving to "nirvana": if Microsoft were to shift
to WebKit, you can thank Opera.

 Hi Jim --

> Having to be involved in the IE issues makes it a current problem. You
forgot IE9 and we hope IE10 is will not be in the list below. Do you know
what percentage of companies still are using XP or mixed XP/Windows7?

Yes, I know about special coding needed for IE6,7,8. But this is now
history, isn't it?

> When I was in the business virtually a hundred percent of my income was
made through Microsoft. Today, I am in the position to look at things a
little more objectively.

And as I have just noted in another post - I haven't said a word "in
defense" of Microsoft - why you can't stop mentioning them when the issue
I'm raising is "WebKit monoculture" and the probable (IMO) dominance in the
(near) future of mobile and hybrid applications over browser hosted
applications, independent on technology they will be developed with?

> My buisness in the last few years has been all about servers and website
sites and web pages and web functionality and remote capability. I touch
little hard coding (unless you consider ASP.Net or JavaScript as hard
coding) except for support work on an ocassional Access application and of
course a couple of old legacy apps.

I personally never liked MS DOS/Windows dominance but I worked with MS
DOS/MS Windows because that were technologies used by my customers, who I
worked for to make my family living. And now when MS Windows is getting so
"fierce competition on all the fronts" - that's a good sign for me that this
industry is getting healthier. And I see how Microsoft responds to that
competition -  and I have now a choice to use MS development tools I'm so
accustomed to to develop "pure HTML/CSS/Javascript" apps, or hybrid apps, or
native WindowsRT/WinPhone apps using industry standard C/C++, or Android and
iPhone/iPad apps (Monodroid/Monotouch - C#) , I can use different SQL
Servers running under MS Windows, I can develop office document using
standardized Open Office XML  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Office_Open_XML
 supported not only by MS Office but also LibreOffice etc.

BTW, the OS I liked most of all for PCs was QNX - I have never worked with
it but I was so impressed with its graphical interface and speed of
execution: AFAIK QNX is now used in the recently released BlackBerry 10 (
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/QNX )

> In summary, like yourself I would suspect, love computers, the technology
and creativity that makes it all a reality...and do not view development
work as just a job or even as a career but as a calling.

Thank you.

-- Shamil