[dba-Tech] FYI: Moving to "nirvana": if Microsoft were to shift to WebKit, you can thank Opera.

Salakhetdinov Shamil mcp2004 at mail.ru
Mon Feb 18 17:56:59 CST 2013

 Hans --

Yes, both Netscape and Microsoft pushed DHML/Javascript (as well as XmlHttp/AJAX) but Microsoft happened (because of its dominance that time) to become the main "pusher" (pun/dual meaning not intended) together with PHP as you noted (and Perl? and "classic" ASP?), which finally corrupted java-applets technology, which Sun in 90-ies was going to use as a base technology to "kill Microsoft".

Yes, Microsoft also pushed ActiveX, and that technology brought not only security issues but did let Flash ActiveX control to appear.
Yes, vbscript was also pushed by MS but that was mainly for VB(A) programmers

Yes, lambda-expressions were originated in LISP (and before that defined in relational calculus AFAIKR) but C# was the first general purpose language where lambda-expressions were implemented in "full power", wasn't it? Also C# LINQ has "dialects" to manipulate objects, XML, SQL databases, ... - and it has an open specification, which can be used to develop LINQ providers for any type of (structured) data. And its features as lazy evaluation, composition, parallel execution are if not unique but were the first, which were implemented in the general purpose language. Have they been implemented already in Java?

<<<
Because we live in a post-Microsoft dominance era.

OK, but this statement doesn't explain anyhow why "Webkit monoculture" would be better in long run than "Microsoft desktop dominance in 90-es, first part of 00-es", does it?

<<<
If Firefox and chrome can do it (and many others), there's no reason why
the Trident engine being cross platform would make it a really boring flat unified plateau

By "boring flat unified plateau" I meant "WebKit everywhere".
As for "cross-platform standards" - AFAIS Trident engine is getting very close to conform them now.

<<<
> Did you try to use just "IE Web Browser Automation" without quotes and 'all these words' search option 'ON'?
If you Google "Netscape HTML CSS", you get 8.2 million results...

OK - but googling by exact phrase  'IE 10 Web Browser Automation'  isn't relevant way of getting information on how often "Microsoft (Internet Explorer) Web Browser (control) Automation" subject is mentioned on web sites.

Thank you.

-- Shamil