[dba-Tech] FYI: Moving to "nirvana": if Microsoft were to shift to WebKit, you can thank Opera.

Hans-Christian Andersen hans.andersen at phulse.com
Mon Feb 18 18:44:25 CST 2013

> Yes, lambda-expressions were originated in LISP (and before that defined
in relational calculus AFAIKR) but C# was the first general purpose
language where lambda-expressions were implemented in "full power", wasn't
it? Also C# LINQ has "dialects" to manipulate objects, XML, SQL databases,
... - and it has an open specification, which can be used to develop LINQ
providers for any type of (structured) data. And its features as lazy
evaluation, composition, parallel execution are if not unique but were the
first, which were implemented in the general purpose language. Have they
been implemented already in Java?

So, are you saying that as far as you are concerned, the only general
purpose languages are Java and C# ? As far as I'm aware, Python is a much
more popular language than C# and it has had lambda expressions since
before C#.

Aside from the java stuff (not sure what your meaning in bringing this up
is), are you trying to say that Microsoft has done some things in the past
that has eventually resulted in some good things? I'm not saying they
haven't, just as the same is true for Apple and Google and Sun, etc, but I
don't think that changes anything regarding the net positive vs the net
negative of IE.

> OK, but this statement doesn't explain anyhow why "Webkit monoculture"
would be better in long run than "Microsoft desktop dominance in 90-es,
first part of 00-es", does it?

> By "boring flat unified plateau" I meant "WebKit everywhere".

> As for "cross-platform standards" - AFAIS Trident engine is getting very
close to conform them now.

This is a straw man argument, so I'm not going to address it other than to
say that I haven't ever said webkit should be used everywhere (if you refer
to my previous emails in this thread) nor do I think it should be.

> OK - but googling by exact phrase  'IE 10 Web Browser Automation'  isn't
relevant way of getting information on how often "Microsoft (Internet
Explorer) Web Browser (control) Automation" subject is mentioned on web
sites.

I'm not understanding your point here, so I want to avoid us going around
in circles. What I said was that googling the aforementioned doesn't
indicate to me that this is a terribly important component in general. And,
in any event, I did say that MS can remedy this in several ways:

- Release 2 versions of IE: IE modern and IE classic

- Update the Web Browser Automation whatever code to work with their new
WebKit implementation (I honestly don't see why this is an issue, it's not
like MS doesn't update Trident in ways that break old code)

- Selenium and such third party tools already have web drivers for WebKit
(chrome/safari), so for them to implement it in IE modern is trivial

Cheers

*

Hans-Christian Andersen
**Web Application Developer, Vancouver, Canada*

E: hans at phulse.com
T: +44 (0)20 7193 7841
L: http://uk.linkedin.com/in/andersenhc
http://www.nokenode.com/