[dba-Tech] Tablet Shift

Peter Brawley peter.brawley at earthlink.net
Wed Jun 19 15:07:09 CDT 2013

On 2013-06-19 2:12 PM, Jim Lawrence wrote:
> Hi Arthur:
>
> I was not suggesting that a developer should not have a tablet but I did
> point out the obvious limitation to the tablet products.
>
> If you are a craftsman, you need more than one tool or a tool with more
> features and functionality. To my way of thinking, a well built laptop can
> do both. Also a laptop can actually store your music, movies, books and
> games locally and you do not need network access to enjoy them. That is
> another of a tablets limitations is their lack of local storage capacity. As
> soon as a tablet has 2 to 3 TB capacity I will become very interested.

Well, Jim, these days I have four working desktops and a working laptop,
but in the year or so since I bought a little 7" Android 4 tablet, I
mostly prefer that device for reading books & articles & watching online
videos. Why? Size. Pocketability actually. Simplicity. Convenience. The
pleasant intimacy of the experience. Quick response. Also it has a cute
app that runs the set-top box that plays music from our server.

A tablet that can hold all my terabytes of music & film might be even
more appealing, but this wee device with 8G inside and 32G on a card has
already cut several hours a day from my time in front of any of the
"real" computers in the house, and it's made that reading & viewing a
whole lot more fun in the process.

Tablet sales numbers suggest that might be a fairly general sentiment.

PB

-----