[dba-Tech] Everyone needs one or two

Jim Lawrence accessd at shaw.ca
Fri Jun 28 12:45:09 CDT 2013

Hi Mark:

When I was working full-time I did installs for were for a number of bank
trading houses.

As you moved up the ladder the more screen surfaces you got. Junior or the
new guy got one, senior guy got two, senior investor got three and the
office manager or the corporate investor got four. There was even a rack
mount grid for holding all the screens in a curved surround.

The only thing that was different was the video card. It had four separate
video ports then when you went into Windows screen properties setting there
were four monitors available. (I do not remember the video card name but it
was fairly common.)

Then there was a USB splitter box that would attach to the video port. This
would just make the one video image across all the monitors attached but you
could just spread various application's components to top-left, right,
bottom-left and so on.

Each solution had its on pluses and minuses. The first solution was more
difficult to install, cost about $800-$1500 but ran significantly faster,
supported any resolution...a ultra-gaming box(?) The second solution was
fairly inexpensive, about $100, was easy to setup but could be laggy and had
to sacrifice resolution.