[dba-Tech] Beating a dead horse?

Jim Lawrence accessd at shaw.ca
Fri Mar 8 13:29:21 CST 2013

Inline:

-----Original Message-----
From: dba-tech-bounces at databaseadvisors.com
[mailto:dba-tech-bounces at databaseadvisors.com] On Behalf Of Gustav Brock
Sent: Friday, March 08, 2013 2:34 AM
To: 'Discussion of Hardware and Software issues'
Subject: Re: [dba-Tech] Beating a dead horse?

Hi Jim

It appears that you are - ahem - not fully updated on this ...

1. Check
  Windows Server 2012 for servers
  Windows 8 for desktops and laptops and Intel pads
  Windows 8 RT for non-Intel pads
  Windows Phone 8 for smart phones
*** The major problem is Windows 8 for desktop and laptop and devices with
touch screen. That one product does not comfortably fit all of the
environments it supposedly designed for. Clients just are not buying because
of that. Aside: Latest Linux kernel (3.7) supports both Intel and Arm so no
change in product coding necessary...all done with a smaller kernel.

2. Check
  Nearly everything MS is doing these days is related to the cloud and all
products evolve with a focus on the cloud.
  Azure
  Office 365
  Skydrive
  Skype
  Office 2013 operates directly on files in the cloud
  Windows Phone Office ditto
  Windows 8 installs (if you wish) at once with a Live account to Skydrive
  Visual Studio lets you deploy to the cloud (Azure) "just like that"
*** Yes, they are putting many resources to the Cloud and one day their
products may connect to all platforms...

3. Bad idea
  Why should they? If you are open-minded and don't have specific
preferences, MS can service any computer/phone user.
*** ...and to many other. Trying to make one platform to run on everything
is not working well for them, is it? Check the sales numbers.

4. Well ...
  This will always be a balance between competition and cooperation
  Office for Mac 2011 exists
*** MS was forced to through the government with the threat of enacting the
Combines act. Did the MAC Office ever run MS Access?
  Office 365 is (planned) available for several platforms
*** Finally started competing with Google.
  Hyper-V Server will host VMs with any OS running on Intel.
*** That is about time.
  Skydrive is (planned) available for several platforms.
*** I am waiting. Most Cloud products have had this for years.
  Skype is available for most platforms
*** And they bought it from which company to have access to Skype(?) ...and
we are still waiting.
*** Anything that runs on a browser is instantly on all platforms. Until
IE10.x (I have not checked it out yet) that was not possible. Maybe they are
learning their lessons but it has taken a surprising long time and so far it
has only been half-hearted. Good intensions are wonderful and they should be
encouraged.

5. Check
  That strategy is cooperation and common design.
  The Metro interface will run on anything from phones and dedicated
appliances to TV sets and intelligent white-boards
  Information (files, messages, etc.) will be shareable between all
platforms.
*** Are we talking Linux or Windows? Linux runs on my stove, dishwasher and
television...maybe the car and refrigerator(?)...as well as all the
computers, phones etc. It wasn't until the ECM said, "Microsoft must support
standard protocols or will not be selling here" that better integration
started. Basically they were dragged kicking and screaming... Now
Linux/Apple has no problem connecting to a Windows network.

6. I don't quite understand what you mean here and I have zero experience
with Oracle.
  However, Visual Studio is a superior product and, for that reason, has a
huge and loyal user base.
*** First of all Oracle is a data storage company that runs on all
platforms. All certified techs (those that have written and passed their
exams) that work with Oracle have unlimited tech support (24 hour senior
tech call center) and access to all their products. If any other company
approaches Oracle they re-direct the call to an Oracle certified support
company or tech.
*** MS loyalty? They would dump a major product line in a second and with no
developer's input or consultation; case in point: MS Access.

7. Check
  Ignoring for a moment that MS is number one in several areas, MS do
listen.
  As a registered Microsoft partner taking advantage of the MAPS, we once a
year receive an extensive questionnaire about all parts of our relations
with MS.
  Later the result of this is partly commented and, from this and later, I
can see that they (our local Microsoft corporation) really try to improve.
*** Trust takes a long while to earn. It is one thing to ask the questions
but it is quite another to act on them.
*** In the last few years Microsoft has demonstrated a reluctance to listen
and as a result have lost a major portion of their developer and tech
support base. The tech and support base are really the people that sell and
maintain their products. In recent polls, users trust levels have dropped to
47 percent and tech/support trust level is less than 25 percent. Considering
that their trust levels use to be in the nineties, it is a dramatic change.

  The major point where nothing improves is licensing but that's another
story.
  Whenever I've attended a Microsoft meeting for developers, the attitude
has been very much to receive feedback - I've just never met a "we alone
know" kind of attitude.
*** Case in point; every developer working with MS Access asked for a host
of features, for over ten years, which would have made the product a
database power house with a very long future. We both know the results of
those efforts.

*** But enough said as there is no point in beating a dead-horse. ;-)

/gustav and Jim