[dba-Tech] Beating a dead horse?

Gustav Brock gustav at cactus.dk
Fri Mar 8 04:34:14 CST 2013

Hi Jim

It appears that you are - ahem - not fully updated on this ...

1. Check
  Windows Server 2012 for servers
  Windows 8 for desktops and laptops and Intel pads
  Windows 8 RT for non-Intel pads
  Windows Phone 8 for smart phones

2. Check
  Nearly everything MS is doing these days is related to the cloud and all
products evolve with a focus on the cloud.
  Azure
  Office 365
  Skydrive
  Skype
  Office 2013 operates directly on files in the cloud
  Windows Phone Office ditto
  Windows 8 installs (if you wish) at once with a Live account to Skydrive
  Visual Studio lets you deploy to the cloud (Azure) "just like that"

3. Bad idea
  Why should they? If you are open-minded and don't have specific
preferences, MS can service any computer/phone user.

4. Well ...
  This will always be a balance between competition and cooperation
  Office for Mac 2011 exists
  Office 365 is (planned) available for several platforms
  Hyper-V Server will host VMs with any OS running on Intel
  Skydrive is (planned) available for several platforms
  Skype is available for most platforms

5. Check
  That strategy is cooperation and common design.
  The Metro interface will run on anything from phones and dedicated
appliances to TV sets and intelligent white-boards
  Information (files, messages, etc.) will be shareable between all
platforms.

6. I don't quite understand what you mean here and I have zero experience
with Oracle.
  However, Visual Studio is a superior product and, for that reason, has a
huge and loyal user base.

7. Check
  Ignoring for a moment that MS is number one in several areas, MS do
listen.
  As a registered Microsoft partner taking advantage of the MAPS, we once a
year receive an extensive questionnaire about all parts of our relations
with MS.
  Later the result of this is partly commented and, from this and later, I
can see that they (our local Microsoft corporation) really try to improve.
  The major point where nothing improves is licensing but that's another
story.
  Whenever I've attended a Microsoft meeting for developers, the attitude
has been very much to receive feedback - I've just never met a "we alone
know" kind of attitude.

/gustav