[dba-Tech] Messenger (was: A new compiled JavaScript?)

Gustav Brock gustav at cactus.dk
Wed Mar 20 05:35:35 CDT 2013

Hi Jim

That you really have got mixed up. To many beers, too little coffee?

1. It is the Messenger service that is pulled and will be integrated with
Skype. A very logical move.

2. Windows 8 support(?) for Windows Phone is not dropped but expanded.
However, Windows Phone 7 will not be upgraded to Windows Phone 8 but to
Windows Phone 7.8.

3. Google Docs is not "dropped" but new users cannot get a free account.

/gustav

On 2013-03-19, at 7:12 PM, "Jim Lawrence" <accessd at shaw.ca> wrote:

> Hi Shamil:
>
> An aside: I have always been a little apprehensive of either
> Microsoft's or Google's commitment to any type of programming
> environment as they may pull support at a moments notice for any number of
reasons.

> <rant on>
> They sometimes just create an application for training purposes of
> their staff, or because of some GPL licensing agreement, or to muddy
> the waters of another competitor, or on some wild prospecting
> adventure. Then they may just pull or drop the program as it may be
> challenging their high-end products, or they loose interest, or a
> application no longer fits their new model.
>
> That is why, no matter how interested I am in any application that
> either make; I always find myself looking for a quick exit if or when
> they bale, yet again.
>
> Didn't Microsoft just announce they are removing messenger
> capabilities from Skype, I guess to many were using it instead of
> their other Messenger. Then they are dropping Windows 8 support from
> their phones, just like Silverlight. Google has just dropped Google
> Docs and RSS feeds for anyone but their paying customers...Most of
> Google translation functionality has gone. Google has been making
> great strides designing on top of open GPL products and now is trying
apply charges to their efforts.