[dba-Tech] How far will Microsoft go?

Jim Lawrence accessd at shaw.ca
Thu May 23 02:15:23 CDT 2013

Here is a link to a rather chilling article on Microsoft's new approach to
hardware development.

"... However, I also fear it like I fear anything that sits in my apartment,
watching and listening to me at all times. If you want to use the Xbox One,
you have to use the Kinect. According to Polygon, it will always be
listening. You can't disconnect it. You can't turn it off. It can't be
bargained with. It can't be reasoned with. It doesn't feel pity, or remorse,
or fear. And if you use your Xbox One for watching TV, it will be watching
you whenever you're in your living room. The features might be handy, but
the features don't have any opt out; the only way to get the Kinect to not
watch and listen to you is to turn the Xbox One off.

The Xbox One seems like a huge upgrade to the Xbox 360 in features, but it
also seems like a huge downgrade in freedom..."