[dba-Tech] Windows 8: Not!

Jim Lawrence accessd at shaw.ca
Sun May 26 11:40:13 CDT 2013

Hi Shamil:

I will partially agree with you.

Aside: I do not think Arthur has any particular "axe to grind" when it comes
to Win8 but I sense a very strong feeling of frustration, especially coming
from his client's acceptance of Microsoft's latest offering and he is just
reflecting their opinions.

It appears that Microsoft has done fine job on their Windows 8 phones and
everyone who has one likes it. This does not mean that I will run out and
buy anything other than an Android phone. (I do not dislike iPods either but
prices and features are everything.)

Unfortunately, the Microsoft way of force feeding the public, through
pre-loaded platforms, its Windows 8 desktop product is hardly an indication
the OS's acceptance or rejection.

If a customer, when buying a PC, tablet or Phone, could at the moment of
purchase, select their OS, a much more accurate view of audience preference
could be established. Given a level playing field, I would suspect, sales of
MS's desktop version would go down, tablet sales would go up and phone sales
would stay the same.