[dba-Tech] New Linux worm targets routers, cameras, “Internet of things” devices

Jim Lawrence accessd at shaw.ca
Fri Nov 29 15:57:46 CST 2013

Hi Shamil:

The threat is probably as dangerous as access to the equipment, the capabilities of the router/switch/firewall, the software/hardware age and of course the capability of the embedded software to detect violations. Off the top, I would think this threat would be more of a threat to proprietary or older ROM devices.

<quote>
Out of date

While not posing much of a real-world threat now, Darlloz demonstrates a major shortcoming with most Internet-of-things devices available today—they typically run Linux or other types of open source code that are woefully out of date. Making matters worse, many Internet-connected consumer devices can't be updated because their lightweight hardware can't handle the requirements of newer code versions. Hijacking one of these devices thus becomes much easier than exploiting, say, an up-to-date version of Windows, OS X, or Linux.
</quote>

Maybe it might be time to investigate some of the more advanced OS device software packages available or simply update all hardware's ROMs. Here is a one list, hardly definitive, to a number of the current(?) OS builds:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_router_or_firewall_distributions.

Of course this all means newer hardware and better software.