[dba-Tech] ultimate win 8 nightmare

Peter Brawley peter.brawley at earthlink.net
Wed Oct 9 14:00:47 CDT 2013

On 2013-10-09 12:59 PM, Arthur Fuller wrote:
> Peter,
>
> If you have an external drive, you could try attaching it directly to the
> box that contains the Windows 8 stuff and copy that to the external, then
> move the external to the box that contains the Windows 7 stuff and copy the
> data to that directory. Just a WAG.
Yeah, the workaround I found was to copy it to a tmp folder on the same
drive, then to the Win7 server. Win8 evidently enforces a rule against
copying user folders tp another machine, but not to other folders on the
same machine and not from those folders to other machines. Utterly
stoopid, like much else in Win8.

I reckon our one Win8 installation has cost us about 12 wasted hours in
three months. What a piece of crap.

> As to moving to Linux on a permanent basis, I have found that on my laptop
> with 8GB RAM, VirtualBox runs just fine, so I have a Windows 7 VM there. I
> haven't set up a Windows 8 VM yet, and no immediate need for one, but I may
> do so at some point, just to feed my inner masochist.

Right, something like that is in my future too.

PB

-----