[dba-Tech] Android finally has a challenger

Hans-Christian Andersen hans.andersen at phulse.com
Tue Sep 24 01:24:12 CDT 2013

Hi Jim,

I'm not sure if you are trolling...

Android is not a company. It's a piece of software that many fragmented and feudal states (companies) use, because it is free to distribute and so is its development and maintenance. It is the Symbian OS of our modern smartphone era.

You seem to be implying that sheer percentage of the smart phone market means it has won the race. That it is the leading product. If that were truly the case, then it would be the platform that has the ability to shift where the market is heading, has the premier software and has the dominant amount of press coverage and so forth.

This is not the case. Companies using Android release lots of interesting features, but to minimal effect (anyone here using NFC yet?). It still does not have any premier software. Of the best software it has, they are pretty much ports from iPhone land. And, regarding press coverage, it is no where near the bonanza and almost complete melt down from rumours and speculation that Apple gets.

So how is Android leading the smartphone market? I'll admit the pure numbers are impressive, but a big portion of that is for cheap smartphones running an old version of android used by someone who doesn't care. They just wanted a phone that could call someone and send SMS messages.

Android is great and all, but it is still in 2nd place by any metric that actually matters.

As a side note, I love this quote:
"There are more atoms in a cup of water than there are cups of water in the oceans of the world"

It's all about perspective.

Best regards,
Hans-Christian Andersen