[dba-Tech] Android finally has a challenger

Jim Lawrence accessd at shaw.ca
Tue Sep 24 18:32:22 CDT 2013

Hi Hans:

Actually, I was high-lighting a new OSS OS for the Smartphones that currently runs android, without modification from the company called Cyanogen.

I was not really concerned with the quality or quantity but if your need those figures, Android, in its various flavours now covers 80 percent of the market compared to iOS, in its various flavours which now covers 13 percent of the market. It does not matter whether iOS OS is ten times better the truth is that next year iOS will be ten percent of the market and Android OS will be 85 percent of the market.

If the truth be known I would prefer a purer Linux alternative but at last check they only have one percent of the market and no real Smartphone alternative...maybe something from Canonical in October? Even Windows has almost 400 percent more product in the market...and who knows maybe in a few years they will have ten percent of the market?

I do not like an OS, like Android, (or when Windows became 90 percent) to become so extensive in their market penetration that all competition shrivels and the product quality drops. I would like to see no OS ever exceed 40 percent as that means there is still healthy competition in the market place.

You have to look at this all in an objective manner...the iPhones and it iOS don't need any defending but the Android OS (Linux) growth needs competition on their own turf.