[dba-Tech] Microsoft is offering another free ebook on web basics

Jim Lawrence accessd at shaw.ca
Wed Apr 23 03:15:03 CDT 2014

Hi Peter and Gustav:

The real basics...your browser must support CSS3 which became the official industry standard in 2012...but most modern browsers did not need these engines as of 2008, as they then supported CSS3 features natively.

Older browser versions (pre 2008) use to use the following engines:
IE used the Trident engine
Firefox/Seamonkey used the Gecko engine
Opera used the Presto engine
Safari/Chrome used the WebKit engine

Today code:
http://www.w3schools.com/css/css3_borders.asp

Note: IE did not fully support css3 until version 10 and it did not come out until 2012 but it only runs on Windows7 and greater so in web sites, if IE is detected and the version is below IE10, a special set of CSS and JavaScripts must be made to accommodation these browsers. I usually just go to a Microsoft website and cut and paste their code for supporting IE7, IE8 and IE9 as each version is different and therefore needs a different working set...IE6 is no longer supported so you will have to send anyone using that old browser to a page that tells them to get a new browser. IMHO, tell them to get any browser, anything but IE ;-)