[dba-Tech] Windows version 10 rumour

Jim Lawrence accessd at shaw.ca
Wed Apr 23 03:36:18 CDT 2014

Hi All:

It seems that Windows 9 may be the last PC version. It is rumoured Windows 10 may be all cloud based.

What I have been reading is that with the evolution and deployment of container/droplet systems, for example docker, it will become impossible to protect Windows, activation code or not. All it will take is one version being created in a container and then hundreds of copies can be made, in seconds. Containers can be easily transferred anywhere in the web and the operation can be repeated...

Right now for example, the latest version, 64bit version of Ubuntu server, 14.04, Docker is a built in feature. I would suspect that soon every Linux distribution will have a similar engine by default, but unlike Microsoft's Hyper-V engine, has no specific code to protect multiple versions of a single Windows licence from being duplicated.

IMO, the only viable direction Microsoft can take to protect their Windows licensing is to migrate their OS to the Cloud.

http://www.myce.com/news/rumor-windows-10-to-become-a-cloud-based-os-68623/