[dba-Tech] The perfect storm

Jim Lawrence accessd at shaw.ca
Thu Feb 13 13:02:22 CST 2014

Hi Arthur:

As to comment to your observation, I will relate a tale from a couple of nights ago.

We have a semi-month Geek meeting that happens at a local Starbucks and we discuss such things as software, electronics and what new in science. I am sure the other patron of the establishment just roll their eyes when we visit. ;-)

That particular night, only three of us could come as two were sick, one had a prior engagement and one had to be in a remote town, to solve a software problem (How to migrate a depreciated version of Microsoft small business server to server 2012...the online manuals are not correct and Microsoft's support is at a total loss...but that is another subject.)

Anyway, one of my friends had brought along his computer. He was trying to get a circuit board application running and he was having no success. He had recently installed Linux Mint on his laptop was having one problem after another so we decided to take a look.

The solutions to the problems were simple. Within a few minutes both my friends and two more university students were clustered around asking question. They asked if I was a Linux expert...hardly, but I agreed to attempt to answer any question they poised. I had braced myself for some complex Linux issues but all the questions were just simple softball requests...how to view hidden file, how to place an icon on the desktop, how to change ownership of a file, where are all the program files stored, how to connect to a network, how to change the default storage locations, how to get help on a Linux computer (built in "man") and so on...all very basic stuff.

The two young fellows, from the university were not taking computer science and the students that were, according to them, had no interest in helping. They even asked if I would be interested in giving a course in Linux but I am leery of that as with the first difficult question, I would be Googling. It seems that few people even understand Linux, even the very simple stuff...to my way of thinking it is even simpler than Windows but over the twenty years that Windows has been around, its design and functionality has become a standard.

I am sure the people at Microsoft must be pulling their hair out by the roots, in frustration, at the rejection of Windows 8.x. It is really simple to use but it is just not traditional Windows and just like Linux, people, except the Geeks, do not like anything new.