[dba-Tech] Send SMS From Mobile Into MS Access Or SQL Database

Paul Hartland paul.hartland at googlemail.com
Fri Feb 14 02:00:14 CST 2014

Stuart,

I have looked at no 3 but don't want to mess with web servers at present as
I just have a single PC that I use at home at present and not too clever on
the security aspects etc as I know very little about networks, for a little
test last year I installed apache on my machine and wrote a simple web page
that people could see, but a network friend of mine said if I hadn't got an
external firewall box then I am open to security risks.  Anyway the reason
I am looking at SMS to email or directly into database is because email
will require a connection to wi-fi or mobile data where an SMS just
requires a phone signal, but I have thought about a mobile app which will
accept the code and message then when the user presses send, turns the
mobile data on, sends the email and turns the mobile data off, but again
this could result in cost to the phone user where I imagine the majority of
people have unlimited texts nowadays plus you mention basic4android when I
could not guarantee the phone would be android and could be blackberry,
IOS, Windows phone or android, unless of course an application developed on
basic4android would work on all those.  Which brings me back to SMS which
will convert into an email or some gateway where my application at the
client site would scan every x seconds for new email and strip the contents
out to a database, I did use a third party tool called SMS2Email at my last
place of work for sending out SMS via email, but was hoping to avoid a
third party for turning an SMS into an email.

I am just stuck on the getting the data from any mobile device to the
client site as the software for the client side I can develop in a couple
of hours max.

Paul