[dba-Tech] FYI: state of databases

Patti OConnor poc231st at hotmail.com
Wed Jan 15 19:38:16 CST 2014

Thanks for the link Jim --- was interesting reading.

I have been working with Oracle for 15 years  before that was a short
time with powerbuilder  after working with hierarchical db for 20 years.
All the while using Access 2 through 2010 for mini systems or a way to
grab the Oracle data into small tables for reporting and trending for users.

Now doing some work with Ms SQL Server moving old access database
backends to that. Less worry about the versions not talking to each
other well.

I want to look into the NOSQL and learn abit more about it
thanks again

On 01/13/2014 01:17 PM, Jim Lawrence wrote:
> Hi Shamil:
>
> Those posts were getting a little long for sure.
>
> That is the truth as you just have to start somewhere...it is always nice to find a client who will pay while you learn. Right now I am in a position to take my time but it is too easy to procrastinate.
>
> Everything is Oracle here; in all big businesses and government...almost a closed shop. Aside: There were only a very few MS SQL sites around even though I encourage the powers to be. It ended up with me getting most of my DB work in Oracle...it was a little disappointing but at least it paid. If Oracle was not so established, locally, it may (have) give(n) other database, other than Oracle.
>
> Here is an interesting article on the state of databases:
>
> http://www.wired.com/wiredenterprise/2014/01/dbengines/
>
> Jim

---