[dba-Tech] No Headphone Output

Tina Norris Fields tinanfields at torchlake.com
Fri Mar 14 08:47:46 CDT 2014

Hi All,

I'm working with the Dell tech people to try to solve the problem, and
I'm exploring the online discussions on the same topic, but I also want
to ask this gang for help.

I have a new Dell Inspiron 15R, came with Windows 8 (64-bit) - since
upgraded to Windows 8.1.

When I plug in headphones, nothing changes - the speakers continue to
sound and no sound comes through the headphones.  The mixer does not
show headphones, only speakers.  The Sound properties dialog does not
show headphones, only speakers.  All sound tests show the speakers
working well, and do not recognize headphones at all.

After a long online chat with a Dell tech, the decision was to replace
the motherboard.  That was done Wednesday evening.  Upon completion of
the replacement, the initial problem remained exactly the same.

I have done all the driver updating I could find, both through the My
Dell Drivers support and from the manufacturer Realtek Semiconductor
website.  Results continue to be exactly the same.

So far, the online suggestions all point to setting the headphones
option in the Sound properties dialog to be the default.  My problem is
that there is NO headphones option in the Sound properties dialog box -
none at all.  I do have the "Show disabled devices" and "Show
disconnected devices" check boxes ticked.   I have uninstalled and
reinstalled several times to no avail.  The first time I uninstalled,
when I rebooted the system it did claim that no sound device was
installed.  The last time I uninstalled, when I rebooted the system the
existing device had already been installed.

The sound card is called Realtek High Definition Audio.  I'm thinking
the sound card is defective, or, if it's truly a motherboard problem,
then the replacement motherboard has the same defect as the original
mortherboard.

Any ideas about a solution?  Thanks.

TNF

--