[dba-Tech] No Headphone Output

Tina Norris Fields tinanfields at torchlake.com
Fri Mar 14 15:02:11 CDT 2014

Here's my update:
I contacted both Radio Shack and Best Buy in Traverse City, and learned
that neither one has anything at all in-house with a 4-pole plug or
jack.  I found an adapter 3-pole male to 4-pole male on eBay and will
have that in hand in another week or so. Meantime, I went into the Dell
Community FAQ Laptop Audio forum and found this about the new combo jacks:

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3517/t/19345854.aspx#six

summary:
====
Dell is now putting "combo" jacks in many of the laptop models. A combo
jack combines the function of a mic jack and a headphone jack into a
single jack socket. Here is what you can and cannot use with a combo jack.
 > You can use a smart phone type of headset.
 > You can also use conventional headphones that have a 3.5mm 3 segment
plug (a TRS plug). A 3 segmented plug looks like this: (followed by a
picture just like mine)

 > You cannot use the combo jack for stereo line-in recording. It only
is capable of mono input.

 > You cannot use a conventional computer mic that has a 3.5mm TRS (3
segmented) plug. You might be able to use a conventional mic with an
adapter cable.
====

So, according to the Dell Community FAQ, my 3-pole headphone plug should
work just fine in the 4-pole audio jack.  I have sent this very same
information to the tech handling my case.  I'm waiting to see what her
response will be to my findings.

TNF

Tina Norris Fields
tinanfields-at-torchlake-dot-com