[dba-Tech] XP - What to do Win 7 or Ubuntu

Jim Lawrence accessd at shaw.ca
Mon Mar 24 17:15:32 CDT 2014

Hi Mark:

I do not have to say what my recommendation would be.

For fun, I installed, half of a client's stations (12 out of 20) in Ubuntu version 12.04, a couple of years ago now. They are still using it and are quite happy as it saved them a bundle and now Ubuntu is second nature to them. I have not been at their company for a good six months and I believe they are moving the rest of their desktops over to Linux. (They don't even need my services).

The one advantage, is that the company's office manager, is a young lady, university graduate and she has no fear of Linux as that environment is what she used at school.

The one concern you may have is that all the applications will not port over or you may not be able to find complementary applications that are as good or better. Let me calm your concerns; it is highly unlikely that you will find yourself caught out.

And further, if you do have issues I will be more than happy to help.

I would recommend that you either setup a virtual drive with the Ubuntu Linux version, (14.04) you are planning on installing or just run up an old beater box and get up to speed on all its features.

Have fun. :-)