[dba-Tech] Banana Crisis

Jim Lawrence accessd at shaw.ca
Mon May 19 10:53:23 CDT 2014

It seems like that is the way of all our food suppliers.

It is very dangerous to become dependent on a mono-culture food supply...think how many varieties of potatoes there are; over 4000. If the Irish had not been totally dependent on a single variety of potato, that was susceptible to the strain of the fungus-like pathogen "Phytophthora infestans called HERB1" (I looked it up) there would have been no Irish potato famine.

Aside: This is another reason why communal farmer markets are so important as there are dozens of varieties of every fruit, vegetable, dairy and meat products. I counted 18 types of potatoes in one of our local markets...a good start but I understand that the new age north American farmer are starting to grow about 90 potato types. :-)  Box stores have been struggling to keep up.