[dba-Tech] Dynamic embedded references in Word

Arthur Fuller fuller.artful at gmail.com
Sun May 25 17:01:17 CDT 2014

Mark.

Your wish is my command. In Word 2007+, on the Links group of the Insert
tab of the ribbon, choose Cross Reference. That leads to the Cross
Reference dialog, at the top of which are a pair of combo boxes, for
Reference type and Insert reference to. On the Reference type combo, select
Figure. This immediately populates the For which listbox with a list of all
the figures in the document, with their captions. The Insert "Reference to"
combo gives a number of choices. In my case, I wanted "Only label and
number".

Now click the Insert button. Word inserts the label ("Figure") plus the
figure number.

Now when you Insert a picture at some position before the end of the list
of figures, both the Figure number and the reference to it are updated.

The process is essentially the same for prior versions of Word. The
difference is the location of the command. For these versions, the path to
the command is Insert | Reference | Cross Reference. After that, the dialog
is the as described above.

Note that the final dialog contains a checkbox indicating whether or not
you want the reference inserted as a link. The default is Checked, meaning
that Ctrl+Click will take you to the object referenced. That could be
really cool if you're referring back to a figure in a previous chapter, etc.

Arthur