[dba-Tech] A Linux Printer Setup Question

Gustav Brock gustav at cactus.dk
Sat Oct 18 03:11:24 CDT 2014

Hi Tina

Linux people never learn to speak human. On the other hand, as you have worked your way through this course, it's a bit strange that you haven't met this fundamental item.

A host is a device on your network. It has an IP address and often a name, the hostname.

You could run a DNS server where the hosts are listed by name like HPLASER4, but that is rare for small setups. Thus, in your case, the host is the IP address of the printer - or rather its built-in printer server that controls the physical printer. Such a combo is called a network printer. In the old days, a printer had a parallel and/serial connection and connected to the network via an external printer server. This could be a PC or a dedicated physical box.

Nowadays some routers can act as a printer server. You connect via USB the physical printer to the router, and configures this to present the printer as a networked printer by a hostname of your choice. The IP address will be that of the router (your gateway IP address of your workstations).

/gustav