[dba-Tech] JFYI: How to Build a M.E.A.N Web Application

Salakhetdinov Shamil mcp2004 at mail.ru
Sat Feb 7 15:43:24 CST 2015

 Hi Jim --

I have only put the subject tutorial link in my steadily growing list of "ToWatch" tutorials.

But I'm currently reading an Amazon Kindle book "NodeJS the right way" ( http://www.amazon.com/Node-js-Right-Way-Server-Side-JavaScript/dp/1937785734 ) - I have it on Kindle Cloud, Kindle Reader device, on Kindle PC and Kindle WinPhone  - so I"m getting through it bit by bit when I have a chance to read it on one of my devices keeping this book :) This book is well written IMO and its sample also uses MEAN stack.

BTW, have you read the following quite different pro- and contra- articles and comments on NodeJS? :

https://www.semitwist.com/mirror/node-js-is-cancer.html

http://www.reddit.com/r/programming/comments/2jdnsb/nodejs_is_cancer/

http://www.uberbrady.com/2011/10/nodejs-is-not-cancer-you-are-just-moron.html

I'm wondering, if I will have a NodeJS based Web Service, which will take, say, 100 ms in total to process (with a few I/O interruptions while it's executed on NodeJS server side) a web request, and web requests will come from client apps in one second intervals then 20 clients will put such a web service down - I mean this web service will not be able to process one client request per second - how to scale such a web service? Would it be correct (for starters) to have a "front-end" nodeJS web service, which will delegate real processing to workers nodeJS local web services? Also would and how CoreOS and Docker could help in this my naive scalability scheme?

http://netloid.com/technology/why-coreos-and-docker-what-you-need-to-know

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/18285212/how-to-scale-docker-containers-in-production

http://www.seenickcode.com/neo4j-docker-coreos-a-gentle-guided-introduction/

Would Quay.io help to import on demand and activate ready to use CoreOS/Docker/MEAN vm/container/application instances?

https://coreos.com/blog/CoreOS-enterprise-docker-registry/

FYI: I could be wrong with my current expectations to orchestrate/scale on demand CoreOS/Docker/MEAN stack - I'm still having just a superficial understanding on how all that stuff can work together....

Thank you.

-- Shamil