[dba-Tech] JFYI: How to Build a M.E.A.N Web Application

Jim Lawrence accessd at shaw.ca
Sat Feb 7 17:45:01 CST 2015

Hi Shamil:

I may then need you help from time to time.

As of yesterday, after a year of saving and gather parts I have a new server. I am still deciding what is the best OS to install. Debian Linux of course but I am deciding whether a fat or thin client would be the best option and then which one...and then ZFS might be an excellent file server option(?)...It will be a careful performance balancing act.

The new box, is a 64bit, on a respectable Asus Z87-K motherboard with all the standard built-ins (video, dual network cards, 8 USB, sound etc...), one 8GB RAM chip, with room for 3 more SIMMs, if required, Intel CPU core i5 (supposed to be better than the i7 as very few application can handle even 4 cores.(?)), one 250GB Samsung SSD (850 pro with a ten year warranty), one 4TB hard drive with another four slots, in which to grow as need requires and a 500W whisper quiet fan.

I have already planned to install openCloud, a dual running CoreOS virtual drive and a selection of development tools...Like Juju and maybe Apache for more tradition websites. This new MEAN stack looks like a great start as it will probably be a while until Microsoft releases a stable .Net IDE and maybe for websites, it might be much better to just learn NodeJS (JavaScript) like you are doing. But of course these plans could change at any moment...there is just so many choices available. :-)

Thanks for all the links...they should keep be out of trouble for a while.