[dba-Tech] Moving and deleting files

Jim Lawrence accessd at shaw.ca
Wed Apr 6 16:43:40 CDT 2016

Hi All:

I have a question.

I was asked to move data to an archive from a Windows 2003 server, that was about to be decommissioned. It seemed like it should be a very simple task but then I starting running into files and directories, that wouldn't be moved or deleted. (Names too long, directories too deep or just locked in some fashion.)

I finally booted the server from a USB drive and used a Live Ubuntu server to manage everything on the old drives.

The question is: Is there a simple Windows solution to these issues? If the client ever wants to manage these files and directories, in the future, they might find themselves really stuck and I would like to leave them some tools they can use. (They are totally freaked with the thought of a Linux option so that is not a choice.)

TIA