[dba-Tech] wireless routers

fhtapia at gmail.com fhtapia at gmail.com
Thu Apr 7 09:39:18 CDT 2016

no you can't because it's controlled by Comcast.  It's good news that they
allow you to disable the hotspot these days, but from what I've read on
forums is that via repeat updates/upgrades of the modem/router firmware,
the hotspot feature is re-enabled.

the hotspot creates a 2nd network, so users connecting won't connect to
home devices, but they do get to use your bandwidth.  having 177/12 speeds
at one speedtest at 7:22 doesn't prove anything, since cable speeds are
shared, it all depends on your neighbors.  if you have heavy
netflix/hulu/appletv users its possible you will see slower speeds.
when/how? depends on your neighbors.

Gary, it sounds like your neighborhood is optimized for your usage.

firmware is always managed by the provider... I've owned modem that yielded
top speeds at time of purchase and years later via  a firmware the speeds
slowed down.  we're at the mercy of the provider and the firmware they
support.