[dba-Tech] The Monero Project

Jim Lawrence accessd at shaw.ca
Tue Oct 17 22:01:45 CDT 2017

There is enough information that anything you do or anywhere you go can be followed back to you and an association to all your friend and contacts can be established.

Earlier this year I received a legal letter saying that I personal had been downloading a certain set of movies. I had not, so I reported the information back to my ISP who informed me that according to the IP address, a number of movies had been downloaded and they are legally obligated to pass the notice along. If I was living in the states, I could have ended up defending myself in court. Considering that the alleged movies had been downloaded to my address when we were on holidays is strange indeed. Apparently, someone had been able to fake my IP address.

For years I have had access to PBS documentaries via the internet. Then up went the geofencing but I had a VPN, then finally even that was blocked. There is now a 'black-list' of many IP addresses from most VPN type servers...because if an address can not be tracked to it real location it is assumed as illegal. Considering that I have had an auto-payment plan to PBS for years it was a bit insulting. Rest assured I no longer support PBS through their patron program. They have subsequently sent me a couple of requests as to why, as I, a long time customer, would cancel my pledge. I said grant me access and I will continue. Unfortunately, due to legal obligations, with their suppliers, they can not.

The VPN is still a very effective way of obliterating all my specifics, as there is enough details normally broadcast as to allow anyone to be able to create a fairly unique finger-print. So now we have to up our game when doing any communication through out the internet. End to end encryption, encrypted pipes (SSH/SSL), mesh networks, floating IP addresses and so on, are tools needed in today's world. As the argument goes, do I have anything to hide, probably not but do I have something to protect, definitely.