[dba-Tech] Dell Latitude E7240 Ultrabook question

Jim Lawrence accessd at shaw.ca
Sat Feb 24 11:42:57 CST 2018

Hi Arthur:

The simple answer to all your questions is "yes".

You have a powered 10 port USB hub I assume from your description. As long as you have access to a USB port you have the ability to attach extra monitors...you will need some hardware though. (In another life I use to connect multiple monitors from a USB hubs all the time...it could get complex with the software integration but I am sure it's much easier now as all that complexity is handled by the OS...) Any computer store will have what you need and it is not expensive.

An external harddrive cases, depending on the drive being fitted and where it is purchased can cost from $10 to $100...not a huge investment. If you are apprehensive about doing the hardware work, most small computer shops do the assembly for $50.

There is one big recommendation I have for you. Buy an APC UPS. It is obvious that your building is not setup for power issues so you will have to do it yourself. The beauty of having a UPS is that it also has "parachute" software and as the name implies if the power does go out, beyond the UPS battery's limit, the computer will automatically log off and safely shutdown.

If you have not used an SSD drive before you will love its quiet ultra-reliable performance.