[dba-Tech] Dell Latitude E7240 Ultrabook question

Arthur Fuller fuller.artful at gmail.com
Sat Feb 24 12:08:45 CST 2018

Jim,

Thanks for the input and recommendations. I shall follow up soon.

I'm pretty good at software but woefully ignorant about hardware, so I
appreciate your assistance on that front.

First, my HP Millenium is pretty much dinosaur tech, but she (female
listers, it's an old habit acquired from the Navy to name your ships after
the women in your life that escaped your attempts at seduction, or else
Goddesses with whom you had not a whisper of a chance); her name is Babe,
c.f. "I Got You,Babe" from Sonny and Cher, which dates me, I realize, but
you already knew that. Babe has persisted at least a dozen years, probably
more; she came pre-installed with Windows 7, so that dates her; but like
Sophia Loren, she remains utterly magnificently beautiful and desirable
beyond belief. Until I replace the dead laptop I'm back with Babe, and for
email she is perfect.

As soon as I replace the dead laptop, my intention is to transform Babe
into a Linux Babe. I've been reluctant to do so for a year or more, but
perhaps the time has come. Or maybe not. For about $100 I can buy a
refurbished box and dedicate it to Linux; maybe that's a better path. My
internet modem supports lots of devices so that part is not problematic.

A.

P.S.
This is fun! Not being a hardware guy, I'm looking forward to this
adventure.
​