[dba-Tech] Virtualing Windows 10

Jim Lawrence accessd at shaw.ca
Tue Feb 27 01:23:52 CST 2018

It is not difficult to run up an instance of Virtualbox, VMware or maybe Hyper-V server so to virtualize an operational copy of an OS, like Windows10, but those virtual applications can be such pigs on resources. I have always wanted to be able to virtualize an OS like Windows10 on a super lean capability layer (the original virtual drive) like KVM (Kernel-based Virtual Machine), and with the following article I have been able to do it...in only approximately 250MB :-)

https://heiko-sieger.info/running-windows-10-on-linux-using-kvm-with-vga-passthrough/
http://bit.ly/2osFOtK

Note: the articles procedures are really the most basic command line method. It can be implemented more quickly via a Bash script, powershell or graphical interface like Proxmox (https://www.proxmox.com/en/)...but I think it was good to do it at the most basic level so as to really learn the process.