[dba-Tech] Widows 10 issues

Jim Lawrence accessd at shaw.ca
Thu Mar 8 12:43:43 CST 2018

Hi All:

It seems that the new minimum RAM needed is 16GB...for all the new OSs. A lot of apps are coming to our PCs need a lot of memory; Electron apps, Snap-apps, Flatpacks, Containers and Virtual Drive. The beauty or problem, depending on how you look at them, of these new app delivery systems, is that they bring an entire mini-OS with them. I use a Microsoft VB.net editor which is a standard VB.Net editor wrapped in an Electron framework and it works fine on any OS.

I think these systems are a great solution to the dream of write once run everywhere but they are pigs on resources, particularly RAM.

A couple of weekends ago, worked at a company, that wanted to preserve their huge investment, of a POS originally written on XP, have all the modern extended functionality and an iron-clad security and backup system. The solution was to replace all their PCs with new boxes, with 16GB, install a Linux distro and then use Virtualbox to replicate all their old PCs...while the store was open. The job was completed, on 30 machines, in less than 6 hours and no downtime. The fix, though not very elegant, was cheap, fast, flexible and reliable.

In summary, my recommendation is to load any of your boxes to capacity rather than continually fight for RAM with each upgrade.

I have been looking at a future solution, of using a Hyper-V server, replicating a number of specialty servers which should be able to guarantee security for an internal intranet and sandboxing internet connections. If anyone has had experience with this type of networking, links to good tutorials and how to properly setup a system, Please let me know.