[dba-Tech] How to create a Docker image/file

John Colby jwcolby at gmail.com
Wed Jul 10 16:59:53 CDT 2019

I am using UnRaid on an AMD 6 core 12 thread (placeholder) processor with
32 gigs ram.  UnRaid is a Linux variant which one has no direct control
over but which allows one to directly create VMs and Docker Containers.   I
am currently running a pair of VMs, one is Linux Mint and the Other Windows
10 Pro.

I also run several docker containers, including a Plex container which I
absolutely LOVE.  This is a wonderful and dead simple to set up Docker
container which then allows me to share my 500+ movies, 5K + songs, years
of photos and home videos stored on the UnRaid server.  This is absolutely
the bomb!  I can literally watch my movies on any of my devices from my
truck at night, as well as from inside of my home, as well as allow my kids
and ex able to do the same.  I used Plex to cycle through childhood
pictures of my son at my church where we were doing a high school
graduation party.  The BOMB!

I am attempting to get a vpn docker running to allow me to use my own vpn
out to the internet from my home as well as get into my system over my own
VPN when outside of my home.  It is a tad complex to set up but I am
close.  :)

I am also trying to get a MySQL docker container running to allow me to
play with MySQL from Python apps.

I don't really understand the complexities of Docker but wish to get into
it deeper.
The objective eventually is to do all my Python, database and AI
development  on my Linux and Windows machines over my own VPN if outside my
house, and over my local network if inside my house.

AMD just released the next part of my plan which is to obtain their new and
way cool 12 c / 24 t CPU or perhaps their 16 c / 32 t CPU to drop into my
Unraid machine.  This will provide massive compute horsepower for the
various VMs and docker containers.  Before I donated my NVidia GTX 1070 to
my son, I was passing that through to the Linux Mint machine to try and get
graphics processing working for AI development on my Linux Mint machine.
Now I have to go back out and get another GPU for that purpose.  The vast
majority of AI stuff uses NVidia graphics cards.  That said, with the new
AMD graphics cards coming to market I will have to re-examine that whole
thing.

I'm getting there.  So much to know, so little time!

On Sun, Jul 7, 2019 at 6:47 PM Jim Lawrence <accessd at shaw.ca> wrote:

> Hi All:
>
> Here is a simple but good description of what Docker is and how to use it:
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nBwJm0onzeo&feature=youtu.be
>
> The description is being used on a new Raspberry PI 4 and that in it self
> is an excellent new product but the examples given can run on any Linux or
> Windows system.
>
> The next video shows how to make a MS Access database and make it into a
> standalone executable ACCDE image:
>

> https://www.google.com/search?client=ubuntu&hs=cCd&channel=fs&q=compile+ms+access+application&spell=1&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwj52Iz76aPjAhVfCTQIHQThAmUQBQgrKAA&biw=1531&bih=872
> http://bit.ly/30odSI7
>
> The next video shows how the writer moves MS Access database into a
> Windows "Docker" container:
>
> http://stevenfollis.com/2017/10/05/access-database-windows-container/
>
> I have not done any experimenting with creating a universal Docker
> container with an Access application installed as I am no longer that
> knowledgeable in Access applications. But I see no reason why a good
> Microsoft tech could not have such a container running on all their
> client's systems and/or spawn hundreds of copies.
>
> For proof of concept check out the following Github software example and
> code:
>
> https://github.com/stevenfollis/accessdb-windows-container
>
> Note: The example is slightly dated (2 years old) but the process today is
> probably significantly simpler given a little bit of research.
>
> Jim

Colby Consulting