[dba-Tech] Convert LibreOffice docs to Word/Excel docs

Jim Lawrence accessd at shaw.ca
Wed May 22 19:49:12 CDT 2019

Hi Arthur:

Yes and No. LibreOffice reads all Windows Office formats but the alternative is not true. Certain rare objects that LO can create are not readable by WO and LO saves files in a tighter format. When I will be subsequently reading a file in a Windows application, I just select "save as" and select a MS format. There may be a over-ride option in LO but I have never bothered to look for it. That said, if my memory serves me, Excel does seem to be able to read spreadsheets with ODS extensions. (It came after Microsoft offered a Office 2010 file format 'ballot' to stop an EU antitrust probe on Microsoft Office: http://bit.ly/30CB1r8)

Aside: If you want to do some experimenting, you can try some open source alternatives which some friend have said they like better:

https://www.ubuntupit.com/top-10-best-free-office-suite-software-as-ms-office-alternative-for-linux/

WPS was highly recommended to me.