[dba-Tech] Broadcast sports question --

Arthur Fuller fuller.artful at gmail.com
Thu Aug 6 12:50:44 CDT 2020

I'm not the biggest sports fan in the world (soccer being my game of choice
-- way bigger in the world than NFL + NBA + baseball -- but now and then I
do watch baseball, and I am astounded by the commentators' mentions of
statistics... "Mr. X has previously stolen 88 bases with One Out." And so
on. Nobody could remember all these stats, let alone revise them as each
game is played. So how do they manage this? I can't believe that any form
of SQL is up to the speed required for this task, and I must believe that
there are dozens if not more people updating and retrieving the stats.
Given any single baseball game, you have a couple of dozen players to look
up, based on the players and potential substitutes; when a player is in the
batting box, they begin looking up his stats, etc., but retrieval time must
be almost instantaneous.
Has anyone worked on such a system as this? I'm dying to know how it's
done, and on what platform, etc.

--
Arthur