[dba-Tech] NetGear NightHawk Router

Tina N Fields tinanfields at torchlake.com
Fri Aug 7 10:34:03 CDT 2020

Here come the details:

The new device is a Netgear Nighthawk AC31750 R6400v2 smart router .
Among other things, it comes with a recommended phone app for managing
the device. My historical experience has always been setting routers up
with a laptop, first via USB connection, then converting to WiFi.

I bought this new device to replace an ASUS-RT-N66R router at the PPPOE
portal to the Internet. That router already has two dead ports and it
occasionally drops the signal - I get that dreaded message across the
screen: "Your Internet connection is unstable."

Because virtually all my work is computer stuff over the Internet, I
need a stable connection.

First try: I read the startup literature that came with the router, used
the QR code to download the Nighthawk app. Plugged in the router to the
yellow cable from the ISP moden and waited for the router to complete
its power cycle. I had my laptop with me, but was sidetracked by the
recommendation to use the phone app. Very quickly realized that I didn't
understand how to use that app. I was pressed for time, because I had a
paper to publish, minutes to complete for the planning commission, etc.
So, I put it aside until I could spend the time. That was a couple
months ago.

This time: Plugged in the new router to power and the ISP modem and
waited for its power cycle.  Watched all the lights make their
transition from amber to white, except the Internet light. Using the
laptop, logged in to the routerlogin.net page, used the default
credentials. Worked through the setup, step by individual step. At the
Internet setup page is where it went awry. I gave it the login
credentials for my ISP account and identified the type of connection,
etc., every setting to match up to the current access protocols. And the
connection failed. I used the old router and went searching online for
solutions. The most common reason for failure to connect was forgetting
to put the modem through its power cycle before starting the router. So,
I did that - several times. But, no success.

I don't give up easily, so I tried working on the settings again, always
looking for what possible setting I had missed. Nothing worked.

I called my ISP tech support and spoke with Jeremy, who informed me that
there was also something they had to switch at their end. Okay, he said,
that should take care of it - just wait about 15 minutes to give it time
to get going. So, I did. Tried again - no success. Waited longer and
tried again - no success. So, I called back. This time, tech support
said they tried to "add" my new router, but couldn't. A tech was coming
the next day to repair a cable, and he could look at the router for me. Ha!

Tech Sean did a fine job replacing the cable. But, the router was
another thing all together. First of all, he didn't know he was supposed
to be doing that (little communication failure, there). Second, he said
he had dealt with a few of these routers and it seems they have to get
registered in order to work properly. He looked through the settings,
but couldn't remember what had actually worked on other routers like
mine. So, he tried asking for help, but his boss told him they don't set
up people's routers for them. Not knowing what else to do, we put the
old router back in place. It's up to me - with help from my friends - to
figure out how to get this new router going, or swap it out for a
different one. That's why I turned to you guys.

Today, I tried using the phone app without the WiFi. No good, because
the app requires connecting to the router via WiFi to do anything at
all. I'm wondering, now, if there may be a defect in the router.

Jon, you have a Nighthawk and you like it. Can you think what you may
have done to set it up that I have failed to do?

Thank you all for your help.

Tina Norris Fields
231-322-2787
tinanfields-at-torchlake-dot-com