[dba-Tech] NetGear NightHawk Router

Tina N Fields tinanfields at torchlake.com
Fri Aug 7 08:47:27 CDT 2020

So, many thanks to each of you who has responded. Let me answer the
questions so far posed in this email.

Rocky, at this time, we are still limping along with the older router -
it's an ASUS-RT-N66R. I have three of them - the one that is the PPPOE
and two that are AP routers for locations in the house and garage
apartment. Knowing the main one was dying, I went back to Best Buy to
get another, because I have liked them and did want to keep some
consistency in my equipment. Best Buy no longer carries them. The
Nighthawk looked like the best choice.  My friends at my ISP tolerate
the fact that I want my own equipment in my setup, but, they would also
like to rent me the equipment.  And, yes, the cell phone itself can
reach the Internet.

Jon, yes, I have heard that the router should work without registration,
although the tech who came said he had found it truly did have to be
registered. For setting it up, I did use the laptop and accessed the
router through the routerlogin.net. Aside: several times, the browser
said the routerlogin.net wasn't available, then opened it after about
three tries, or only upon my entering the IP address. I was peeved
because I wanted to add this router to my existing network and it comes
with its own network SSID and passcode. I did figure out to get into it
with its credetials and then change to mine.

Gary, thanks for the thought on simply turning off the WiFi on the phone
while trying to register the router through the phone app. I will try that.

Peter, the modem is the one supplied by my ISP, not incorporated into
the router. Sorry if I wasn't clear about that.

Ed, yes, I will try turning off the WiFi for the phone to make the
registration connection.

All - because this is starting to be a long message, I am going to write
a new one with details that may make it easier to help sort things out.

Tina Norris Fields
231-322-2787
tinanfields-at-torchlake-dot-com